I want to manipulate lists as described below:
Imagine these two lists:

> list1
$WR7
[1] 1 2 3 4

$YH5YH6
[1] 3 4 5 6 7

$YH4
[1] 4 5

$UC4UC8
[1] 4 5 6 7 8 9

> list2
          V1                    V2
1        WR7            Averrhoa
2         ?                     Sarcotheca
3       YH5YH6          caesia
4        YH4                    arbuscula
5     UC4UC8            rosea
6          ?                    acetosella

How can I exchange the names(list1) by the entries in the second column of list2, if (a) length(list1) ≠ length(list2) and (b) the elements of both lists are not in the same order? Is there a easy way to do this?

Thank you!

Christoph Heibl

PhD student

'Phylogenetics and phylogeography of endemic Atacama Desert flora'

Systematic Botany
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Menzinger Str. 67
D-80638 München