Here's my guess - you are probably missing some programs necessary to build
the packages. First, make sure you install Xcode from either the Apple
website or the Tiger disc (good time to install X11 if you don't have it
too). Then be sure to check the check box in the apple package gui that
downloads and install dependencies. Try opening terminal and typing 'which
gcc' If it's not there, I believe the above should fix everything! (but
still try the above if it is there...)

best wishes,
Vince

On 1/23/07, Nüzhet Dalfes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a total newbie to R. I am using R (2.4.1) on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and
> trying to install some packages using GUI Packages & Data/Package
> Installer
> interface...
>
> Every time I get:
>
> trying URL
> '
> http://umfragen.sowi.uni-mainz.de/CRAN/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.4/neural_1.4.1.tgz
> '
> Content type 'application/x-tar' length 18920 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 18Kb
>
> Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open compressed file 'neural/DESCRIPTION'
> >

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Nüzhet Dalfes
>
> Istanbul Tech. Univ.

Vince Buffalo

"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that
will allow a solution."
-Bertrand Russell