This is an extract from the sem help page, which deals with your situation:

S covariance matrix among observed variables; may be input as a
symmetric matrix, or as a lower- or upper-triangular matrix. S may
also be a raw (i.e., ``uncorrected'') moment matrix — that is, a
sum-of-squares-and-products matrix divided by N. This form of input is
useful for fitting models with intercepts, in which case the moment
matrix should include the mean square and cross-products for a unit
variable all of whose entries are 1; of course, the raw mean square
for the unit variable is 1. Raw-moment matrices may be computed by
raw.moments.