Greetings guRus --

If a variable, e.g., 'varname', is a character string, e.g. varname <-
"datavector", and I want to apply a function, such as table(), to
datavector, what syntax or method will do so using only the variable
varname?  This seems similar to indirect addressing, but I have not seen
a method for it in the R manuals.  Is there a general name for such
indirect reference that one might search for?

(This came up while writing a function that takes the value of 'varname'
from the keyboard and then applies functions to it.)

With thanks for any solution,

Ben Fairbank