Thank you for your help. It answers my question but I'm still unclear about
something.
I understand that
suppressWarnings() will suppress warnings
suppressMessanges() will suppress *messages*

What other *messages* type are there and how to suppress all of them.
For example, I want to quietly *install* a package:

> install.packages("pkgDepTools",repos="http://bioconductor.org",lib="~/.R/library-i686";)

but I always get the following printed. How to suppress it ?

trying URL 'http://bioconductor.org/src/contrib/pkgDepTools_1.0.1.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 145394 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 141Kb

* Installing *source* package 'pkgDepTools' ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'pkgDepTools'
     Formats: text html latex example
  basicInstallOrder                 text    html    latex
  cleanPkgField                     text    html    latex
  getDownloadSize                   text    html    latex
  getInstallOrder                   text    html    latex
  makeDepGraph                      text    html    latex   example
  makePkgUrl                        text    html    latex
  parseContentLength                text    html    latex
  pkgDepTools-package               text    html    latex
** building package indices ...
* DONE (pkgDepTools)

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpYl8LZA/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)

Thank you again,
-Johan