I don't claim to be a huge expert on this, but I think you are mistaken
about what you are getting when you use the zipf family with the vglm
function.  From what I can tell from the documentation, this does indeed
give you an estimate of the parameter of the zipf distribution.  I've tried
to "test" this using some random numbers (probably not strictly correct
procedure, but I think it's a reasonable approximation):

set.seed(1234)
 N <- 5
  y <- (1:N)
  alpha <- 2.5  # this is the parameter of the zipf distribution
  p <- 1/(y^alpha) ; p <- p/sum(p)
  n <- 100000
  x <- sample (y, n, replace=TRUE, prob=p)
w <- as.vector(table(x))
fit = vglm  (y ~ 1, zipf(link=identity, init=2), tra=TRUE, weight=w)
> Coef(fit)

2.501086

Is this not what you need?

--