Hello

My colleagues and I have recently established a large database (40 tables
each with greater than 15 variables) in Microsoft's SQL Server 2000.
Currently we are accessing this database via SQL client running an Windows
XP.   Our objectives are many fold including running SQL applications,
outputting results to ARC/INFO IMS, production of summarizing tables -
graphs and web interfaces for user accessibility.

The project is still very much in a design phase.  I'm interested in knowing
if we can link R directly to the database  as it is either stored in SQL
Server, or SQL Client, or if we are better off keeping it simple and
extracting ascii (csv)  files from SQL server prior to processing
summarizing and model development.

Any insight provided will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

--
Steve Friedman
Computational Ecology and Visualization Laboratory

Envisioning Ecosystem Decisions