If you know what 10 rows to read, then you can 'skip' to them, but it the
system still has to read each line at a time.

I have a 200,000 line csv file of numerics that takes me 4 seconds to read
in with 'read.csv' using 'colClasses', so I would guess your 100K line file
would take half of that.  Is 2 seconds of time a waste of resources?

--
Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH