On Sat, 12 May 2007, Vlad Skvortsov wrote:

Hi!

I'm running R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18) on MacOS X 10.4; my $LANG is
ru_RU.KOI8-R.

But we are told that all locales on MacOS X are actually UTF-8: it will not matter as R knows the charset it is using.

While trying to plot a graph to PDF with cyrillic characters in the
legend, I get warnings (in Russian):

> pdf()
> plot(c(1), c(1), main="ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ")
Warning messages:
1: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xd4
2: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xc5
3: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xd3
4: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xd4
5: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xd4
6: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xc5
7: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xd3
8: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 0xd4

(it's "width of character 0xZZ is unknown")

The output PDF doesn't contain glyphs either.

I've been looking through the docs to figure out what possible extra
parameters I need to specify, but failed to see anything relevant.