On 6/7/07, Bob Meglen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I realize that  this question has been asked before (2003);
>
> From: Yi-Xiong Zhou
> Date: Sat 22 Nov 2003 - 10:57:35 EST
>
> but I am hoping that the answer has changed. Namely, I would
> rather read the BMP  (or TIFF) files directly instead of putting
> them though a separate utility for conversion as suggested by,

What would you like to do with the images? The GdkPixbuf bindings provided
by the RGtk2 package allow you to read both types of images. In conjunction
with the cairoDevice package, you could mix the image with R graphics.

Another way might be to use some Java library via rJava and use the Java
graphics device.

Michael

From: Prof Brian Ripley