Hi Paul,

I'm sorry for not posting code, I wasn't sure if it would be helpful without
the data...should I post the code and a sample of the data?  I will remember
to do that next time!

> grid.gedit(gPath("ylabel.text.382"), gp=gpar(fontsize=16))

OK, I think my confusion comes from the notation that current.grobTree()
produces and what strings are required in order to make changes to the
underlying grobs.
But, from what you've provided, it looks like I can access each grob with
its unique name, regardless of which parent it is nested in...that helps

> like to remove the left border on the first panel.  I'd like to adjust the
>

> I'd guess you'd have to remove the grob "background.rect.345" and then
> draw in just the sides you want, which would require getting to the
> right viewport, for which you'll need to study the viewport tree (see
> current.vpTree())

I did some digging into this and it seems pretty complicated, is there an
example anywhere that makes sense to the beginner? The whole viewport grob
relationship is not clear to me. So, accessing viewports and removing
objects and drawing new ones is beyond me at this point. I can get my mind
around your example below because I can see the object I want to modify in
the viewer, and the code changes a property of that object, click enter, and
bang the object changes.  When you start talking external pointers and
finding viewports and pushing and popping grobs I just get lost. I found the
viewports for the grobTree, it looks like this:

viewport[ROOT]->(viewport[layout]->(viewport[axis_h_1_1]->(viewport[bottom_axis]->(viewport[labels],
viewport[ticks])),
viewport[axis_h_1_2]->(viewport[bottom_axis]->(viewport[labels],
viewport[ticks])),
viewport[axis_v_1_1]->(viewport[left_axis]->(viewport[labels],
viewport[ticks])), viewport[panel_1_1], viewport[panel_1_2],
viewport[strip_h_1_1], viewport[strip_h_1_2], viewport[strip_v_1_1]))

at that point I was like, ok, I'm done. :S

> Something like ...
>
> grid.gedit("geom_bar.rect", gp=gpar(col="green"))
>

> Again, it would really help to have some code to run.

My apologies, I thought the grobTree was sufficient in this case.  Thanks
very much for your help.

emilio