> A-> Hi,> A-> Is there any parser generator like www.antlr.org? Moreover, how
> does simple > A-> code assistance work currently in R? By 'simple code
> assistance' I meant > A-> things like:> > A-> Object$M<TAB> -->
> Object$Method> > If you really meant a list with components> or an S4 object
> with slots,> such code completion works at least since R 2.5.1, because of>
> the recent 'rcompletion' extensions of Deepayan Sarkar,> and of course in ESS
> (Emacs Speaks Statistics),> and I think in several other GUI/Environments as
> well.> > But if you are thinking OOP as in Java or C++ (and I think you>
> *are* thinking along that way), then rather learn> that S (and hence R) do
> OOP in a function-centric rather than class-centric> way; something which
> seems to be quite hard to grasp for many> who have been brought up in
> Java-like schools....> If you are still interested in R, look out for
> documents with> "S4" (or "formal methods and classes") and "R" in the title
> ;-)
I am looking for an implemented parser generator of 'R', not only S4 classes or
OOP style. By 'R', I mean 'R', it's that simple.

I am not a big fan of the inconsistency in R grammer for the price of freedom
in bringing new inventions such as S4. I understand this is a controversial
subject and that many claim that in this way more options are brought to R.
However, this makes R to look like a 'confused' language to me which is
undecided between function-centric and object-oriented. We have the OOP
package, the methods package and now the S4 classes which are very different to
S3 and my understanding is that the S3-based packages are not automatically
upgradable to S4. What if in 7 years or so the authors decide to have a S5
class scheme which is very different to both S3 and S4?

In this way, it seems to me that there is no 'standard' in R. You may choose a
flavour for R like R-S4 or R-S3 or R-this or R-that, and then develop your
package based on that flavour. However, it looks like R-this and R-that
flavours are actually different languages sharing some syntax.

Here is a good demonstration for this problem: can we have one 'universal'
parser for R?  Or do we need an R-this-parser and R-that-parser for each
flavour? It seems that Martin said yes to the second question.

Moreover, my question is still somehow un-answered: Is there any existing
ANTLR-based parser for R? I understand that in omegahat.org project, people
used ANTLR for RSJava, but i am not sure if that had anything to do with an
R-parser.