I think R CMD check calls

res <- system2("du", "-k", TRUE, TRUE)

also on Windows, cf.
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/src/library/tools/R/check.R#L3859

It could be that you have a corrupt / different `du` tool on your
PATH.  As a first thing, try calling the above from within you package
directory.  You can also try it on the command line.   You should get
a list of sizes and paths.  If 'du' is doing something else, that
could be your answer.

As Peter says, it could also be that there's a link loop causing `du`
to never finish.  Now that link loop could either be in your package
source or in the temporary package source directory that R CMD check
sets up.  Troubleshooting the latter will be more tricky.

My $.02

Henrik