On 04.05.2017 16:23, Lenth, Russell V wrote:
OK thanks -- this gives me a new perspective. I see this result:

    > tools::nonS3methods("coda")
    [1] "as.mcmc.list"

which indicates more about the mechanisms in place for this kind of situation. So now it
seems that if package 'pkg_B' simply imports and exports a function
'looks.like.S3.method'  from package 'pkg_A', and 'looks.like.S3.method' is already known
via tools::nonS3methods("pkg_A") and thus has a check exclusion, then 'pkg_B'
should have the same check exclusion. I recognize that such a check-exclusion-inheritance
provision may not be very straightforward to implement.

Ideally, pkg_B avoids the infelicities that had been established with pkg A.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Uwe Ligges [mailto:lig...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de]
Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 3:06 AM
To: Lenth, Russell V <russell-le...@uiowa.edu>; r-package-devel@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Any new developments on "apparent S3 method" issue?

On 03.05.2017 18:39, Lenth, Russell V wrote:
Package developers list:

I recently added an 'as.mcmc.list' method for objects in one of my packages.
Now, in doing an --as-cran check, I get this message:

* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... NOTE Found the following
apparent S3 methods exported but not registered:
  as.mcmc.list
See section 'Registering S3 methods' in the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

Apparently, the checking routines conclude that I should register an 'as.mcmc' method for class
"list" -- something that does not exist and is not needed. I did some searching, and
found an exchange on this issue from January 2015, in which a "nonS3Method()" construct
was proposed. That sure looks like what is needed, but it still doesn't exist. Is there a different
way to handle this that has been developed?

Further information -- this is related to the *coda* package, and my NAMESPACE
file contains this code:

if (requireNamespace("coda", quietly = TRUE)) {
    importFrom(coda, as.mcmc, as.mcmc.list)
    export(as.mcmc, as.mcmc.list)
    S3method(as.mcmc, ref.grid)
    S3method(as.mcmc.list, ref.grid)
}

This seems clear enough; and what's mysterious is that *coda* passes the CRAN
checks without this same NOTE.

Yes. coda had the name for a very long time and it was not reasonable to fix
this naming in felicity later on, hence there is a check exclusion in
R-devel/src/library/tools/R/utils.R for as.mcmc.list in package coda.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

As a possible workaround, I am considering:
   -- providing and registering my own S3 method 'as.mcmc' for class "list" ---
in spite of my disinterest in providing this
  -- not importing coda::as.mcmc.list and instead exporting my own
generic that handles objects of class "list" separately

Any suggestions?

Russ

Russell V. Lenth  -  Professor Emeritus Department of Statistics and
Actuarial Science The University of Iowa  -  Iowa City, IA 52242  USA
Voice (319)335-0712 (Dept. office)  -  FAX (319)335-3017