On 13.06.2017 15:40, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
On 13/06/2017 7:29 AM, Michael Dewey wrote:
Dear David

It is your package and you can choose the name you prefer. If you feel
uncomfortable with the current one then change it. I do not think anyone
else's opinion is relevant unless a package author picks a name that all
right thinking people would find offensive.

However, CRAN's opinion is relevant if you want them to distribute it for you. Name changes cause extra work for them so please don't do it unnecessarily, and if you do think it's necessary, explain your reasoning to them when you submit.

OK, it appears I have to say a word:

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread so far.
Indeed, Duncan is right, and not only the work required to get it done is relevant, also the effort for users to recognize the name change and the fact that the old name is reserved for the CRAN namespace and nobody else can submit another package under such a name is an issue to be considered.

So for the archives, as Duncan says: You have to have a very good reason to justify publication of an updated package under a new name.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

Duncan Murdoch