Then simply explain this situation to the CRAN team and "they" will probably let the package pass.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

On 06.11.2017 14:25, Jorge Cimentada wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of submitting a package to CRAN and I've run into an
issue with the examples of some functions. The purpose of nearly all
functions of the package is to download data from a website. There is one
main problem I've received from CRAN.

1) If it's feasible, include examples which are executed in < 5 secs.

Downloading data usually take between 5-10 seconds in the best case. I've
included most examples as \dontrun{} specifically because of this. There is
no way of creating smaller toy examples that run in less time.

Every time the function is run the user must specify his/her email, which
is private information Because the examples are not being executed, I've
included fake emails such as y...@email.com to show the user how it works.
The CRAN team suggested using something like:

-----

\examples{
        examples for users:
        executable in < 5 sec
        for checks
        \dontshow{
               examples for checks:
               executable in < 5 sec together with the examples above
               not shown to users
        }
        donttest{
               further examples for users (not used for checks)
        }
}

-----

To the best of my knowledge, there is not way to get examples always
running < 5 secs, so it's not feasible to include them in \dontshow{}.
Also, I'm not sure if users can have access to \dontshow{} in any way by
going to the specific docs of the function (either on Github or somewhere
on the CRAN repo). I wouldn't want to reveal personal emails in any way,
even if it's for the tests.

Any idea how to handle this situation?

Note: I do included extensive tests which are successfully tested through
Travis CI and this wasn't an issue in the CRAN submission.

Jorge Cimentada
*https://cimentadaj.github.io/ <https://cimentadaj.github.io/>*

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]