I'm preparing a new release of PerformanceAnalytics, and as usual this
brings the host of CRAN checks.

I get this note:

* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... NOTE
Found the following apparent S3 methods exported but not registered:
  mean.LCL mean.UCL mean.geometric mean.stderr
See section 'Registering S3 methods' in the 'Writing R Extensions'
manual.

these are not S3 methods for 'mean', but rather helper functions that
do other things related to means.

These functions have been in the package for over a decade, are used in
coursework at a number of universities, and we assume are in user code.
 So it seems that changing them would be disruptive.

Now, all that said, what to do about it?

We could register them as S3method{} , and I think calling them
explicitly will still work, though this seems inelegant.

I can't find any way to tell R that these *aren't* S3 methods ...

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson