On 11 February 2018 at 19:13, Baptiste Auguie wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Sorry I never found the time to put this issue to rest. My cda package has
| now been removed from CRAN because Armadillo's update on 'banded
| matrices' broke
| it on various platforms, and I've had users enquire about the situation. As
| far as I can tell RcppArmadillo no longer enables the solution of complex
| linear systems on all platforms (see below). I'm happy to contribute a new

I don't think that is a fair statement.

Armadillo, and RcppArmadillo, offer you an elegant, easy-to-use and rather
performant interface to underlying LAPACK code.  In the R universe, we rely
on the LAPACK "brought to us by R". That generally works but ...

... you are, and have been, pushing the edge further by requiring complex
data types---and now Conrad chose to rely on another LAPACK routine. Bang.

| test for this to help future-proof this recurring issue, but resolving the
| underlying issue is beyond me.

That's the problem.

You may need to look at other package with, when needed, extend offered
libraries.  I.e. I also stand behind BH and hence parts of Boost, but
sometimes packages (e.g. in the stan world) need extra functions and so they
package them.  Upstream MLPACK is another example, and it extends Armadillo
where needed.

Dirk

https://builder.r-hub.io/status/isolve_1.0.tar.gz-757573eaf5b0cb30d8154d7b8f7e2bc7

| Thanks for any advice,
|
| baptiste
|

| On 20 December 2017 at 02:24, Dirk Eddelbuettel <e...@debian.org> wrote:

| > mac.
| > |
| > | Reproducing this error is not easy. I was able to do so using docker
| >
| > Just work on Windows, or on any R built so that its internal BLAS are
| > used. You can force that via configure at build time.
| >
| > | with
| > | https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker-versioned/blob/master/
| > r-ver/3.4.3/Dockerfile
| > | as starting point. If you remove lines 30 and 97 (openblas-dev and
| > | --with-blas), you can build a docker image with R included that uses the
| > | BLAS and LAPACK supplied by R.
| > |
| > | I have given this a try and installing 'cda' in such a image does indeed
| > | reproduce the error. Unfortunately adding 'arma::solve_opts::no_band' to
| > | the two places where arma::solve is used did not help in my tests :-(
| >
| > :-(
| >
| > Maybe Arma needs another patch.

| > that
| > fine-tuning?).
| > |
| > | I think it is a blanket switch that will affect also those methods that
| > | where already added in the past. So this would be only a temporary
| > | solution, but I think that's what you need right now.
| > |
| > | BTW, setting ARMA_CRIPPLED_LAPACK is more difficult than I thought since
| > | it is #undefed in the RcppArmadillo-Config. Short of editing that file,
| > | you can add this to src/Makevars
| > |
| > | PKG_CXXFLAGS=-DARMA_CRIPPLED_LAPACK
| > | -DRcppArmadillo__RcppArmadilloConfigGenerated__h
| > |

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org