Tim,

On 18 March 2018 at 18:58, Tim Keitt wrote:
| I have an Rmd vignette that runs some benchmarks. It takes long enough (20+
| minutes) that eg TravisCI will choke. I've not tried submitting to CRAN.
| What is the best practice for handling this situation? Do I generate
| HTML/PDF output locally and try to make them static? The vignette builder
| is knitr. I know about the R.rsp package but I do not know if it handles
| Rmd files.

Tests are tickled from a runner script such as either one of

      tests/doRUnit.R
      tests/testthat.R

so you have an entry point to control for environment variables.

Travis clearly documents what theirs are -- so you could just turn it off --
and I have opted (years ago) for a more endogeneous scheme of suppressing
tests on CRAN based on version numbers (as I suppress tests when version
numbers are "release-style" form 'a.b.c', but then run the tests when the
version number is "dev-style" ie a.b.c.d).

You can alternatively check for CRAN via an env.var; I forget what it is
called and cannot grep for it as my scheme does not need it. WRE may tell you
what it is.

Hth,  Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org