On 7/15/19 2:06 AM, Travers Ching wrote:
I think the major change was saving of alt-rep objects efficiently.
Example save(1:1e8, file=...) is very efficient.

I'm not sure if that is all that changed it, but I couldn't find
documentation on the differences.

Yes, format version 3 provides custom serialization for altrep objects, so that it can e.g. serialize efficiently integer sequences. In addition, it keeps record of the current native encoding when serializing strings, so that it can convert strings with unflagged encoding when de-serializing them with different native encoding. So for example if a string with current native encoding X (not being latin1, and indeed not UTF-8) on Windows gets serialized, and then de-serialized on Linux running UTF-8 as current native encoding, it would be converted to UTF-8. In previous versions, it would be misinterpreted.

Best
Tomas

For maximum compatibility in a package, personally I would use version 2.