> help(package="utils") shows the index, not utils-package.Rd.

Indeed, I should have run it before emailing, I meant:

package ? utils

which does show "utils-package.Rd" and similarly for other packages.

'help(topic)' shows a file which contains alias for 'topic'. In the case of
'help(utils)', fille "utils-package.Rd" has an alias for "utils", so tht is
shown.

For what it's worth, the index shown by 'help(package = "package")' is very
useful for html formatted pages, where everything is linked and the links to
the vignettes appear at the top.   If html is not the default rendering, one
can use

    help(package = "Matrix", help_type = "html")

 to get this.

Georgi Boshnakov

help(package="utils") shows the index, not utils-package.Rd.

help(utils) shows utils-package.Rd.

Best,
Wolfgang