I'd like to add, for bundling `zstd` and `lz4`, I was told by Professor
Ripley that I must first check for system installations and use that when
possible, because of possible security issues being fixed in later
updates.

I think that's a good idea, and can be set up with a configure script: 1)
check for later version system installations e.g. with `pkg-config`, 2) use
system if it exists, 3) otherwise compile bundled `zstd`.