It's surprising that this is only an error on Debian ...
In general "strong dependencies not in mainstream repositories" is a non-starter. Here is the relevant paragraph from the CRAN repository policies:

> Packages on which a CRAN package depends should be available from a mainstream repository ... [where "depends" means "Depends/Imports/LinkingTo]

In principle you could create a package that only "Suggests:" INLA (and uses it conditionally) but is effectively non-functional without it (i.e. in the absence of INLA, all examples or tests that depend on INLA are disabled). This does seem to defeat the intention of the policy, though. I don't know if the CRAN maintainers would reject it for violating the spirit of the policy ...

   cheers
    Ben Bolker