Thank you all for the discussion and suggestions.

so making a package function baz available makes all functions in the
> package available -- a function in the package already has access to other
> functions in the namespace, whether those functions are exported or not, so
> there is no need to use :::.

Thanks, Martin. I completely missed that the parallel package serializes
the entire environment of the function, including the package namespace and
so `:::` is indeed unnecessary in my use case. I probably experimented in
the global environment first and extrapolated the observed behaviour to the
package. Sorry for annoying everyone with this.

I also have another use of `:::` for which I am not sure if it's considered
disallowed use of `:::`, so I'm throwing it out there for feedback.
I have one internal function which checks a long list of common arguments
to several other functions, similar to
internal_check_args <- function (sd = 2, type = c("bootstrap",
"theoretical"), ...) {
  # check arguments for valid ranges, etc.
  return(list(sd = sd, type = match.arg(type))
}

And several functions which use the internal function for argument checking
and such, similar to
exported_foo <- function (x, sd = 2, type = c("bootstrap", "theoretical")) {
  args_call <- match.call()
  args_call[[1]] <- quote(mypackage:::internal_check_args)
  args <- eval.parent(args_call)
}

exported_foo_cv <- function (x, cv_folds = 3, ...) {
  args_call <- match.call(expand.dots = TRUE)
  args_call[[1]] <- quote(mypackage:::internal_check_args)
  args <- eval.parent(args_call)
}

This is modelled after what, e.g., `lm()` does with `model.frame()`, only
that `internal_check_args()` is not exported, hence I use `:::`. There are
other solutions for this type of use of `:::` (probably some considered
cleaner) but again without guidelines on when `:::` is acceptable it's
difficult for package maintainers to know when to use/not use it. From all
the discussions it seems that there is absolutely no acceptable use of
`:::` and work-arounds are always the better alternative.

In light of the other interesting points brought up by discussants, I also
want to honor their time and reply here.

You may argue that you prefer pkg:::foo for some reason:  to which I'd
> respond that you are being rude to the CRAN volunteers.  I've offered
> two options (one in the previous thread, a different one here), and
> there was a third one in that thread offered by Ivan Krylov.  Surely one
> of these is good enough for your needs, and you shouldn't force CRAN to
> handle you specially.

I am sorry it came across rude when I tried to solicit arguments for why
the use of `:::` is considered "bad practice", while work-arounds are
considered to be okay. I wouldn't force CRAN to handle my case specially; I
rather wanted to challenge the general "attitude" towards the use of `:::`.
I am sure there is a need to discourage the use of `:::` in packages as
CRAN volunteers probably have seen hundreds of cases where `:::` was abused
(such as mine, as Martin Morgan pointed out).

you can use

> get("internal_function", asNamespace("mypackage"))(arg1, arg2)
>
> In fact, if you look at the source code of `:::`, that's exactly how
> it is implemented:

That would be a work-around I would have used if necessary. But my general
question remains: why should I reinvent the wheel when R already comes with
`:::`? The only advantage of all the work-arounds I've seen would be to
trick R CMD check that the code is okay, when in fact the same "bad
practice" is practiced.

Best,
David