Also, I received an email from CRAN maintainers months ago saying that "gdata" was being obsoleted.  It's still on CRAN with a date of 2017-06-06 and a huge number of reverse dependencies.  The CRAN maintainers may have gotten someone to agree to take it over who just hasn't finished fixing whatever deficiencies it has.  However, you might see how difficult it might be to do without "gdata" as well.

       Spencer Graves

Is it permissible to copy the code from rename.vars (gdata) inside my package with an hint:

" Function rename.vars Source code from gdata as gdata is unmaintained since 2017-06-06 Rename variables in a dataframe
Author(s)
Don MacQueen (package gdata), macq\@llnl.gov."

it is the only function I am using from gdata.

Knut