We are working on a resubmission of a package (https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/issues/721 for people who want all the gory details). Our last hurdle is that one of the packages in "Suggests:", DHARMa, is currently unavailable on Solaris, even though it in good standing on CRAN <https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/DHARMa/index.html>. (This stems from a circular dependency: DHARMa can't be built on Solaris because the _previous_ version of glmmTMB, which DHARMa imports, had a bug on Solaris ...)

We have been testing on r-hub's solaris platform, where DHARMa is similarly unavailable. We can only pass tests if we set _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=false; otherwise we get an error that says some suggested packages are missing.

  It is my understanding that the CRAN maintainers can either

* test with _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=false and yell at us if we have used any missing/unavailable packages unconditionally or

* test with _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=true and ensure that all suggested packages are installed

but that it would be unreasonable to reject package A because it has a Suggests: dependency on package B that is in good standing on CRAN but is not available on a particular CRAN testing platform, as long as package A only uses package B conditionally.

  Thoughts/opinions/evidence?

  cheers
    Ben Bolker

---
From the current CRAN policy:

Packages on which a CRAN package depends should be available from a mainstream repository: if any mentioned in ‘Suggests’ or ‘Enhances’ fields are not from such a repository, where to obtain them at a repository should be specified in an ‘Additional_repositories’ field of the DESCRIPTION file (as a comma-separated list of repository URLs) or for other means of access, described in the ‘Description’ field.

A package listed in ‘Suggests’ or ‘Enhances’ should be used conditionally in examples or tests if it cannot straightforwardly be installed on the major R platforms. (‘Writing R Extensions’ recommends that they are always used conditionally.)