Hi, Ivan and Uwe:

Thanks for your suggestions, but I've so far been unable to get them to work. see below.

On 1/20/23 9:22 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

On 20.01.2023 15:53, Ivan Krylov wrote:
В Fri, 20 Jan 2023 08:41:25 -0600
Spencer Graves <spencer.gra...@effectivedefense.org> пишет:

** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Error in parse(nsFile, keep.source = FALSE, srcfile = NULL) :
    1:1: unexpected input

tools::showNonASCIIfile('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JamesRamsay5/fda/master/NAMESPACE')

Your NAMESPACE file starts with a U+FEFF ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE.
You'll need to remove it, e.g. by re-creating the first line.

Note that this is also called "byte order mark" (BOM). Tell your editor not to create files with BOM.

You can also fix in R:

x <- readLines(..., encoding="UTF-8-BOM")
writeLines(x, ......)

          In RStudio 2022.12.0+353 (the current version),

tools::showNonASCIIfile('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JamesRamsay5/fda/master/NAMESPACE')

returned "char(0)". 'readLines' and 'writeLines' as Uwe suggested failed to fix it for me.

The first problem I noticed with this was that RStudio could not read the NAMESPACE file. When I tried, it said, "File is binary rather than text so cannot be opened by the source editor." I changed something using a different editor and did "git commit" and "git push", and got the error on GitHub that I reported above. I copied the file elsewhere, deleted it locally and from GitHub, then recreated it in LibreOffice by manually typing the first and last lines then copying the rest from a copy I had saved elsewhere. The RStudio would open the file, but I still get the same error message as above from both "R CMD build fda" locally and from GitHub Action at:

https://github.com/JamesRamsay5/fda

          Other suggestions?
          Thanks,
          Spencer Graves