Uri,

I can speak only for macOS package binaries and they have been rarely re-built.
The only time when a re-build is necessary is when a dependency is updated and
breaks its backward-compatibility (sadly, yes, that happens). It is relatively
rare, but recently Matrix was one example with reasonably big fall-out. Those
things are likely to happen more often in the future, but if you are mainly
interested in an archive then you should be able to simply go by modification
dates for the macOS binaries. However, I would add a black-out period after a
major R release, because what happens is that I do a full re-build of all
packages after a major R release (up til then the packages are build against
the beta/RC) and that can take up to a few days, so I wouldn't keep packages
built before that first set is done which can be few days after the release.

Cheers,
Simon