Submission of most recent version of lme4 threw a NOTE on CRAN's Debian platform that we had not seen when running "R CMD check --as-cran" with the most recent SVN checkout, nor when submitted to win-builder/R-devel. These are legitimate issues (all now fixed), but we were taken by surprise because they weren't detected on any platforms we tested on.

So far, archaeology in the R code base/Github mirror about recent changes to tools::checkS3methods, or about environment variables, hasn't been entirely successful, although based on

grep Sys.getenv src/library/tools/R/QC.R | sed -e 's/.*Sys.getenv("//' | sed -e 's/"[,)].*//' | sort | uniq

it looks like we *might* want to set

_R_CHECK_S3_METHODS_SHOW_POSSIBLE_ISSUES_

when testing ...

This is mostly a heads-up/documentation for anyone who might be interested.

Debian: <https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/lme4_1.1-33_20230421_145951/Debian/00check.log>

 R Under development (unstable) (2023-04-20 r84291)

 NOTE
Mismatches for apparent methods not registered:
print:
  function(x, ...)
print.bootWarnings:
  function(x, verbose)

format:
  function(x, ...)
format.perc:
  function(probs, digits)

Apparent methods for exported generics not registered:
  ngrps.default
See section ‘Registering S3 methods’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’
manual.