https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Inserting-Unicode.html
    > I take the message that texinfo does not do Japanese... Is
    > there any way to work around the use of texinfo and use
    > lualatex (with a preamble) instead? If not, is there a way
    > to keep the UTF-8 encoded characters in the html help (I
    > think this is very useful for the user!) and still produce
    > a pdf that passes the check, e.g. by replacing the kanji
    > characters automatically by their codepoints (or even a
    > generic placeholder symbol) when generating the pdf
    > manual?

I cannot help much more,
but be assured that  texinfo is *not* used in the process
It's just a "historical coincidence"  that  texi2dvi , a "simple"
shell script, typically comes from the texinfo ("software
package", i.e., in Linux distributions the texi2dvi command
(shell script, see above) is provided by the 'texinfo'
(Debian/Ubuntu/..) package

man texi2dvi  tells you about a sleuth of environment variables,
notably  PDFLATEX  TEX etc and I guess you can just set one of
these to 'lualatex' .. .. and of course lualatex must be
findable on the CRAN servers but I'd bet that to be the case.

Best,
Martin