You have two choices:

* put LICENSE in your .Rbuildignore file so that it shows up on Github but is excluded from the package

* follow the instructions in https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Licensing to refer to LICENSE in your DESCRIPTION file. However, CRAN generally prefers that you use a standard license ("GPL-2", "GPL-3"), to make it easier for them to know that you've really complied with their openness requirements, and that you *not* include a license file that is redundant with that spec:

On 2023-08-09 11:06 a.m., Emanuele Cordano wrote:
Dear list,

is there a way to put the LICENSE file within an R package like in Github,
I have an R package on Github with a a LICENSE file compliant to Github and
containing the text of the licence citing in the DESCRIPION file. But when
I check the package , I obatained the following output:

* checking top-level files ... NOTE
File
   LICENSE

is not mentioned in the DESCRIPTION file.

How can I solve this?
Thank you
best
Emanuele Cordano

--
Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University