I think one should be very cautious about overriding "standard" mechanisms for
controlling software infrastructure like OpenMP.  You risk making the task of
navigating the already-complex task of configuring the software environment
even more complex by increasing the number of places you have to look in to
find out why the mechanism documented by OpenMP is having no effect.

It may be that R Core agrees with you and creates an R-specific setting to
control this... but IMO it should be accompanied by warning messages to help
people figure out why their real work is underperforming if they link with
compiled code that is supposed to make use of threads.

On August 23, 2023 7:24:46 AM PDT, Uwe Ligges <lig...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>
wrote:

>On 23.08.2023 15:58, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>> To whom are you addressing this question? The OpenMP developers who define
>> the missing-OMP_THREAD_LIMIT behaviour and-or supply default config files?
>> The CRAN server administrators who set the variable in their site-wide
>> configuration intentionally or unintentionally? Or the package authors
>> expected to kludge in settings to override those defaults for CRAN testing
>> while not overriding them in normal use?
>
>Of course , the CRAN teams controls the env vars on the CRAN servers, but not
>on a server a user might use. And a user is typically unaware that a package
>uses multithreading.
>R users are typically not developers with a lot of insight in computer
>science. Most R users I know would not even know how to set an env var.
>
>So why do you ecxpect your users to set an appropriate OMP_THREAD_LIMIT?
>Particularly when they aim at parallelization, they have to set it to 1.
>I advocate not only to limit the number of cores for CRAN but also (and
>inparticular)  the default! Something we cannot check easily.
>

>An alternative would be to teach R to set OMP_THREAD_LIMIT=1 locally by
>default and a mechanism to change that for users.
>
>Best,
>Uwe Ligges
>

>> I would vote for explicitly addressing this (rhetorical?) question to the
>> CRAN server administrators...
>>
>> On August 23, 2023 6:31:01 AM PDT, Uwe Ligges
>> <lig...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>>> I (any many collegues here) have been caught several times by the following
>>> example:
>>>
>>> 1. did something in parallel on a cluster, set up via
>>> parallel::makeCluster().
>>> 2. e.g. allocated 20 cores and got them on one single machine