From: R-package-devel <r-package-devel-boun...@r-project.org> on behalf of Liam
J. Revell <liam.rev...@umb.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2023 11:30:05 AM
To: Alexandre Courtiol <alexandre.court...@gmail.com>
Cc: r-package-devel@r-project.org <r-package-devel@r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Warning from orphaned package on check page

My apologies for the lack of clarity.

plotrix has been orphaned so my package results page now says

     checking package dependencies ... WARNING
     Requires orphaned package: �plotrix�

CRAN incoming requires maintainers to certify: 'I have fixed all
problems shown on the package check page.' Since I can't unorphan
plotrix, I can't certify this statement & thus can't get a new version
of my package on CRAN. Advice on how to proceed is welcomed.

Liam J. Revell
Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts Boston
Web:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/__;!!PDiH4ENfjr2_Jw!EUF27KhzseEpywIN0EnjFB_d4JQ9VgFwYWOCrNH1U9F6Bqh9SOqbi57oq38wPjZFM-40ALcQXaITFEjCuIgQOW0aznrXaHjdobg$
 [faculty[.]umb[.]edu]
Book: Phylogenetic Comparative Methods in R (Princeton University Press,
2022)

On 11/9/2023 4:10 AM, Alexandre Courtiol wrote:

> You don't often get email from alexandre.court...@gmail.com. Learn why
> this is important
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification__;!!PDiH4ENfjr2_Jw!EUF27KhzseEpywIN0EnjFB_d4JQ9VgFwYWOCrNH1U9F6Bqh9SOqbi57oq38wPjZFM-40ALcQXaITFEjCuIgQOW0aznrXKg7CKCI$
>  [aka[.]ms]>
>

> CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER
> Dear Liam,
> I don't understand your question: if your package has plotrix listed
> as a dependency, it won't affect plotrix.
> Only the opposite would be true. Could you please clarify and indicate
> which package you are referring to?
> Thanks,
> Alex
>

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2023 at 09:57, Liam J. Revell <liam.rev...@umb.edu> wrote:
>
>     Dear colleagues.
>
>     I'm trying to update a package on CRAN containing a dependency
>     (specifically, on the popular graphing package 'plotrix') that has
>     been
>     orphaned because the maintainer is deceased.
>
>     'plotrix' is imported by well over 100 other CRAN packages, so I
>     hope it
>     is not removed from CRAN. On the other hand, I don't want to certify
>     that 'I have fixed all problems shown on the package check page'
>     if this
>     is not, in fact, the case.
>
>     Can anyone comment on how one might proceed in this situation?
>
>     Thank you. -- Liam
>
>     --
>     Liam J. Revell
>     Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts Boston
>     Web:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/__;!!PDiH4ENfjr2_Jw!EUF27KhzseEpywIN0EnjFB_d4JQ9VgFwYWOCrNH1U9F6Bqh9SOqbi57oq38wPjZFM-40ALcQXaITFEjCuIgQOW0aznrXaHjdobg$
>  [faculty[.]umb[.]edu]
>
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/__;!!PDiH4ENfjr2_Jw!EUF27KhzseEpywIN0EnjFB_d4JQ9VgFwYWOCrNH1U9F6Bqh9SOqbi57oq38wPjZFM-40ALcQXaITFEjCuIgQOW0aznrXaHjdobg$
>  [faculty[.]umb[.]edu]>
>     Book: Phylogenetic Comparative Methods in R (Princeton University
>     Press,
>     2022)

>  [stat[.]ethz[.]ch]

>  [stat[.]ethz[.]ch]>