FWIW, as far as I can tell, Sys.readlink() still doesn't handle
symlinks (or junction points) on Windows. Were you thinking of
normalizePath()? That does now resolve both symlinks and junction
points on Windows (courtesy of a lot of work from Tomas), although I
don't recall the exact versions in which support was introduced. But
that would still give you a more efficient way of detecting such files
on Windows.

Kevin