В Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:14:19 +0000
Jon Clayden <jon.clay...@gmail.com> пишет:

> My testing route is to install the packages within the
> 'rocker/r-devel' Docker container, which is Debian-based, then use
> 'time' to evaluate CPU usage. Note that, even though 'RNifti' does not
> use OpenMP, setting OMP_NUM_THREADS changes its CPU usage

I think that's because rocker/r-devel uses parallel OpenBLAS:

$ podman run --rm -it docker.io/rocker/r-devel \
 R -q -s -e 'sessionInfo()' | grep -A1 BLAS
BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/libblas.so.3
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/libopenblasp-r0.3.24.so;
LAPACK version 3.11.0

The incoming CRAN check machine either sets the BLAS parallellism to 1
or uses a non-parallel BLAS. With rocker/r-devel, you can run R with
the environment variable OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS set to 1. It's been
effective in the past to run R -d gdb and set a breakpoint on
pthread_create before launching the test. (In theory, it may be
required to set a breakpoint on every system call that may be used to
create threads, including various variations of clone(), subject to
variations between operating systems, but pthread_create has been
enough for me so far.)

With OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS=1, I'm only seeing OpenMP threads created by
the mmand package during tests for your package tractor.base, and the
latest commit (that temporary disables testing of mmand) doesn't hit
the breakpoint or raise any NOTEs at all.

--
Best regards,
Ivan