Almost.

I used
prompt(".__global__")
to create file
man/.__global__.Rd

This file does not appear in the tar.gz file, but without a note of rejection.
When I checked my disk directory directly
R CMD check RcmdrPlugin.HH
the file was rejected with

Found the following hidden files and directories:
  .DS_Store
  R/.DS_Store
  man/.__global__.Rd
These were most likely included in error. See section ‘Package
structure’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.

I looked there
Section 1.1 says that the acceptable characters are
and "." and _ are explicitly included.

What should I try next?