It would have been helpful for that person to specify their candidate
regex, rather than just saying it could be simpler.

That out of the way, I believe

   exportPattern("^[^.]")

would be sufficient since the square brackets remove any special
meaning the dot has. For an alternative, given the limitations on
syntactic identifiers in R (namely, that they must start with either a
dot or letters), one might also consider

   exportPattern("^[A-Za-z]")