Well, I just uninstalled the devtools that I had installed from github
and ran

   install.packages("devtools",lib="/home/rolf/Rlib")

No error message this time; the install went just fine.
The explanation may lie in the plethora of packages that I re-installed
when I invoked

   remotes::install_github("r-lib/devtools",lib="/home/rolf/Rlib")

This probably relates to Simon Urbanek's advice to re-install all
packages in my local library.  Which I will make sure to do in future.

Previously I got an error message from

    install.packages("devtools",lib="/home/rolf/Rlib")

but now of course I cannot reproduce it.

On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 06:30:20 -0500
Dirk Eddelbuettel <e...@debian.org> wrote:

<SNIP>

> These days, I strongly recommend r2u [1].  As you already use R via
> CRAN through apt, r2u adds one more repository after which _all_ R
> packages are handled via the same apt operations that you already
> trust to get you R from CRAN (as well as anything else on your
> machine).  This covers all 20+ thousand CRAN packages along with 400
> key BioC packages. Handling your packages with your system package
> managed guarantees all dependencies are resolved reliably and
> quickly. It makes installing, upgrading, managing CRAN package
> easier, faster and more reliable.

<SNIP>

> [1] https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u

<SNIP>

Sounds promising, but I cannot follow what "r2u" is actually
all about.  What *is* r2u?  And how do I go about using it?  Do I
invoke it (or invoke something) from within R?  Or do I invoke
something from the OS?  E.g. something like

sudo apt-get install <what???>

???

I have downloaded the file add_cranapt_jammy.sh and executed

   sudo sh add_cranapt_jammy.sh

which seemed to run OK.  What now?

cheers,

Rolf