Dear list members,

This is not a very specific question on R for ecological analysis, but is
related.

I have been in courses where R and WinBugs are used together for data
analysis, however, I still don´t understand why R need to use WinBUGS to
perform some bayesian analysis.

I teach statistics through R for graduate students, however, teaching
bayesian statistics using R and Winbugs is not so intuitive.  Is harder for
them to grasp bayesian statistics in that way.  I have read form several
authors that bayesian statistics is more intuitive than frecuentist
statistics, however, doing through R and WInBUGS, is not the case for
students.

For example I think student will understand more what they are doing if
they only see a line of code for R where you can specify everything and do
it only in R, rather than writing things for R and things for WinBUGS.

Is really WinBUGS necessary?  Is R not capable of doing the same type of
analysis?

Any input will be appreciated.

Best,

Manuel

--
*Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.*
Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre