Hi Michael,

RData files created by save() or save.image() are compatible across
versions.

It sounds to me as if you overwrote your RData file, rather than anything
to do with R versions. If the same filename is used, the RData file is
overwritten, not appended to - only whatever is currently in your
workspace. So if you used "save workspace image" with the default name, it
would simply replace any previous workspace image in that directory.

You can use save.image() with different names from the command line, and
load as many separate RData files into your session as you'd like, although
objects with the same names will be overwritten in your workspace.

Also, pleae note that this is a more appropriate question for the main
R-help list.

Sarah

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012, Michael Trianni wrote:

> I recently installed R version 2.14.1. After a session in 2.14.1, I saved
> the 'workspace image'. I then opened earlier R versions, 2.14.0 & 2.12.0,
> and the only objects listed were from the 2.14.1 session. All the work
> under those previous versions were gone, to my dismay. This did not happen
> when I was working in 2.14.0, as 2.12.0 objects were not affected when
> saving the workspace image in 2.14.0.
>
> Are the 2.14.0 & 2.12.0 objects retrievable or permanently deleted?

Sarah Goslee
http://www.stringpage.com
http://www.sarahgoslee.com
http://www.functionaldiversity.org