Dear all,

Thanks for your help. It took me some time to replace all informations together
in my little bit less confused brain. Maybe I should give some explanations
about the context of my study and the purpose to go further with this
discussion.
Theory:
The objective of my phD thesis is to improve scientific knowledge about the
ecology of a very particular family of aquatic plants : the charophytes. I
choose to study closely the response of species (cover and life cycle) to
fine-scale gradients. The study site is a hotspot for aquatic plants
(Rey-Boissezon and Auderset Joye, 2012. Arch. Sciences. in press) and in
particular for charophytes species --> that's why I made this longitudinal
research on this waterbody.
The main purpose is to understand how disturbance gradient affect the
composition of the macrophyte community, in particular the distribution of
Charophytes ("V3" mission in Anderson et al 2011).
Practical:
I want to ignore double zero because there is no reason to consider that double
zeros indicate similarity.--> avoid euclidean-distance based method such as PCA
and RDA
The succession of a high number of species generated numerous zero in my
species dataset (long environmental gradient). --> one more argument against
RDA
 Finally vegetation was well sampled so rarest species were truly rare in the
water body. Nevertheless I am not particularly interest by those rare species
so I deleted them before multivariate analysis.

For all these reasons, I firstly I tried CCA ordination. But I did not tried
dbRDA. Should I on the basis of my practical limits? Would it be really best
than CCA ? I guess I have to try following Pierre's method. The main positive
point for dbRDA is that I can use any dissimilarity matrix (if I understand
well), hellinger or bray curtis for example.

Why not explore unconstrained ordination methods and went further with NMDS
("V2" mission in Anderson et al 2011)?
 I understood that I was wrong when using Bray-Curtis distance on hellinger
transformed data before NMDS, I have to choose. But that I am right when
superimposing vector or gam surface on NMDS ordinations.
But could someone explained briefly how to interpret outputs? in particular the
position of each species on surface, the "r2-adjusted" and "deviance explained"
by gam...

At last but not least, I am not sure that the longitudinal nature of my dataset
is really a problem. Do you mean autocorrelation problems might happened ?

Cheers,

Aurélie

Aurélie Rey-Boissezon
Ph-D Student
University of Geneva
Section of Earth and Environmental Sciences - Institute F.-A. Forel
Aquatic Ecology Group
Uni Rondeau
Site de Battelle - Bâtiment D
7, route de Drize - 1227 Carouge