Dear Patrick,

Package 'spatstat' can generate point pattern from several point processes, e.g. from uniform Poisson process (aka. Complete Spatial Randomness, CSR), general Poisson cluster process and Simple Sequential Inhibition process, and can also generate independent uniform random points. I recommend you to convert your matrix to RasterLayer (of package 'raster'), create an owin window based on its extent, generate points, convert them to SpatialPoints and rasterize them.

HTH,
Ákos Bede-Fazekas
Hungarian Academy of Sciences