Dear R-Sig Colleagues,

I am performing a bioregionalization of the Cerrado woody flora in central
Brazil.

I am following the steps

Produce a dissimilarity matrix from species x site matrix
Perform a NMDS on the dissimilarity matrix
Interpolate each NMDS axis with Kriging
Partition the stacked interpolated rasters with K-means

I am willing to change the k-means by the ISO DATA method implemented in
ArcGis, which takes an initial number of groups (the same used for the
k-means classification). The ISODATA algorithm has some further refinements
by splitting and merging of clusters. Clusters are merged if either the
number of members (pixel) in a cluster is less than a certain threshold or
if the centers of two clusters are closer than a certain threshold.
Clusters are split into two different clusters if the cluster standard
deviation exceeds a predefined value and the number of members (pixels) is
twice the threshold for the minimum number of members. It implements a set
of rule-of-thumb procedures that have been incorporated into an iterative
classification algorithm. Many of the steps used in the algorithm are based
on the experience obtained through experimentation. The ISODATA algorithm
is a modification of the k-means clustering algorithm and is supposed to
overcome the disadvantages of k-means.

The classification produced preserved the main patterns found in kmeans
while reducing the number of groups.

However, I have not found anything in the literature of bioregionalization
using ISO DATA, only kmeans. Do you know of any reasons I should not use
ISO DATA for this aim?

Thank you very much in advance for any inputs,

Best,

Alexandre

--
Dr. Alexandre F. Souza