Thanks (again) Iñaki.

There was a typo in my reply above. I should have said: I *can't*
answer the question re USE_LOCKING=1.

Those other suggestions are really helpful too; I really didn't
understand what the difference was (I'm still not clear what the
differences are between say openblas-openmp and openblas-openmp64),
but I did get R to pass mgcv's thread safe test with both
openblas-openmp and blis-openmp, so I have aliased those options for
use too.

Just using blis ( /lib64/blisblas/libblas.so.3 ) was generating a
segfault when running the mgcv test.

Really appreciate the help!

All the best

--
Gavin Simpson, PhD [he/him/his]           [t] +1 306 337 8863
• Research Scientist                      [f] +1 306 337 2410

• Adjunct Professor, Department of Biology, University of Regina.