On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:18 AM Iñaki Ucar <iu...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 23:55, Jeroen Ooms <jeroeno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I assume you are doing this in a docker image. That file is not
> > > installed because our base images have "tsflags=nodocs" set in
> > > /etc/dnf/dnf.conf. Unset this before installing R-core, or, even
> > > better, install packages with --no-docs.
> >
> > Perhaps --no-docs should then be the default if tsflags=nodocs? The
> > default behavior is unfortunate, because it makes install.packages()
> > fail even if the user is not even interested in documentation, and
> > people come up with all sorts of workarounds eg:
> > https://github.com/r-lib/devtools/issues/2084
>
> install.packages doesn't fail. devtools does. I see:
>
> Warning in file.create(f.tg) :
>  cannot create file '/usr/share/doc/R/html/packages.html', reason 'No
> such file or directory'
> Warning in utils::make.packages.html(.Library, docdir = R.home("doc")) :
>  cannot update HTML package index
>
> The package is correctly installed and usable.

Many systems (including devtools, and many others) are set more strict
such that installation warnings are turned into errors, to ensure
users or applications never ends up installing broken packages.
Raising this warning by default for every install.packages() is really
unfortunate default behaviour, especially because it is evidently
unclear to users why this happens.