On 13/08/2021 11:44, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have found out that R 4.1 is not available for Fedora 34, and you
> have here advised us to install the rawhide version. However, the
> rawhide version seems to be for Fedora 35. Can that still be installed
> on Fedora 34, despite the fact that it is for Fedora 35?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Hi Paul

See Iñaki's response (quoted below) from this thread:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-fedora/2021-June/000770.html
It's worth checking out the full thread for more info.

On 23/06/2021 14:45, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
 > On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 at 14:50, Gavin Simpson <ucfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
 >>
 >> How would one go about installing R 4.1 from rawhide? (October is a
little too far away to be off r-release for that long while maintaining
R packages on CRAN that depend on tidyverse packages.)

 > $ sudo dnf update R --release rawhide
 >
 > should do. Be aware though that this means updating other dependencies
 > too. This may or may not cause problems. A safer option would be to
 > use a containerized environment. Toolbox [1, 2] is perfect for this,
 > especially for development purposes:
 >
 > $ sudo dnf install toolbox
 > $ toolbox enter -r 35
 > [toolbox]$ sudo dnf install R rstudio-desktop
 > [toolbox]$ rstudio
 > # rstudio opens
 >
 > or directly without entering the toolbox first:
 >
 > $ toolbox run -r 35 rstudio
 > # rstudio opens
 >
 > Remember to install any additional repos and/or system dependencies
 > you may need (e.g., to install R packages from source) *inside* your
 > toolbox. Hope it helps.
 >
 > [1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-silverblue/toolbox/
 > [2] https://fedoramagazine.org/a-quick-introduction-to-toolbox-on-fedora/
 >
 > Iñaki