On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Ester Polaina Lacambra wrote:

Hello everyone,

This is going to sound quite silly, but I'm an amateur R user and after a
while I haven't been able to find the solution for my problem...
I've got a shapefile coming from ArcMap 10, with a Projected Coordinate
System: World_Cylindrical_Equal_Area (I chose that one when I was measuring
areas); and a Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_WGS_1984.

I read it with R by using:

WCountries <- readShapePoly("myfile",ID="COUNTRY")

readShapeSpatial() in maptools cannot read any projection information - it uses shapelib, which ignores projections. Use the readOGR() function in rgdal instead. Do not be surprised if the Arc description is not matched, it is not a gold standard; an EPSG code has at least as good authority.

The coordinates you see are what you asked Arc to export, they are in the coordinate reference system you specified.

Roger

When I use the expresion "coordinates(WCountries)" some apparently UTM
coordinates appear. How do I know how R has calculated this? because
it keeps saying:

Is projected: NA
proj4string : [NA]

Thank you very much!!