Dear list,

I have two datasets: one is for point samples with lat and long information at
accuracy of 0.001 degrees. Another is grid cells at a resolution of 0.0025
degrees. Both datasets are in txt format. Now I need to extract the lat and
long information from the grid cell dataset for the point samples by assigning
the lat and long of a grid cell to a sample point that falls in the grid cell.
I usually get this done in ArcGIS. I was wondering if it is possible in R. I
searched but failed to find a right function to implement this in R.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Jin Li
Spatial Modeller/Computational Statistician  |  Coastal, Marine and Climate
Change Group
Environmental Geoscience Division  |  GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA
Phone:  +61 2 6249 9899    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9999
Email:  jin...@ga.gov.au<mailto:jin...@ga.gov.au>    Web:
www.ga.gov.au<http://www.ga.gov.au/>
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT
GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia

Geoscience Australia Disclaimer: This e-mail (and files transmitted with it) is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient, then you have received this e-mail by mistake and any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail and its file
attachments is prohibited. The security of emails transmitted cannot be
guaranteed; by forwarding or replying to this email, you acknowledge and accept
these risks.