spTransform function in rgdal will do this, but UTM is a family of
projections so you need at least to know which zone is appropriate and
whether it is even any kind of sensible choice for projecting your
coordinates to. What is the range of the data and for what purpose do you
need them projected?

It really matters since every projection is a compromise with pretty
restrictive limitations.

Cheers, Mike

On Thursday, January 31, 2013, Abby Rudolph wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there a formula to convert x-/y-coordinates (latitude /longitude) into
> UTM.  My data is in the form of latitude and longitude, but the code I wish
> to use relies on x_m and y_m which I believe are UTM measurements (x in
> meters and y in meters).
> Thanks
> Abby

Michael Sumner