The raster package isn't able to read the data from this "GMT-style"
NetCDF, since the structure of the variable is one-dimensional internally
and you are supposed to deal with that yourself. I would stick with the
ncdf4 package to read it, you'll have to scan into the "z" variable
manually to reconstruct it as a matrix, or subset it.

Note that you should have a large object size with "d", since the nc_open
function returns an index vector for each dimension (so one of them is
length 89784000, you must have sufficient memory to deal with that - I
would close/delete the "d" object once you read the "z", "dimension" and
other values).

I have code to read from these files, but I can't access it today - it's
not that difficult though, you can probably do something like matrix(z,
dimension[1], dimension[2]) but you'll have to fiddle to get the
orientation right.

Michael Sumner
Hobart, Australia
e-mail: mdsum...@gmail.com